Sunday, 19 July 2026

New Painting - Boeing 314 Clipper

So this is the sixth of my 'Airfixers' collection. Basically, it's just a few paintings, the subject of each of which was in the model kit range produced by Airfix. With each of them, I never bought them when I was modeling as a kid and I have no desire to buy them and make the models now, but I still wish that I had done back in the day. 

Designed and built in the 1930s, the Boeing 314 Clipper was certified for civil aviation use in 1939. It was designed for carrying passengers across the Atlantic and Pacific oceans and in 1943 became the first aircraft to carry a sitting American president, when FDR flew in one to a conference in Casablanca in Morocco. 12 of these in total were made, 9 of which were operated by Pan American Airlines. BOAC did operate one for a time. The last was retired from service in 1951.

This is the 5th painting I've made with my Daler-Rowney Graduate watercolour set and I have to say I am enjoying using it very much. A little bit cheaper than the equivalen Winsor and Newton it's a highly acceptable alternative.

No comments:

Post a Comment