Saturday 31 August 2024

Watercolour in Daler-Rowney Sketchbook

This is a post that combines two of my more recent subjects for posts in one. You have to admire that kind of economy, don’t you? My last post was about having made my first pictures outside of the UK and Europe. Well, continuing in the same vein last week I painted a scene from the New York subway – the 1 Train (Line 1) in uptown Manhattan above ground. Here it is if you don’t believe me.


Please feel free to hold your own opinion about the quality of the painting or otherwise. Personally, I’m not unhappy with the way that it turned out considering how despondent I was feeling after the first session. But that isn’t really the point of the post. I made the painting in my Daler-Rowney special edition A4 sketchbook. The pages are 150 gsm and I have to say I am amazed at how well it took the watercolour. I’m talking about the way that it stood up to the watercolour. There’s no discernable cockling or buckling. If anything it did at least as well if not even better than my Winsor and Newton book and that’s 170 gsm. Big tick for D and R from me.

No comments:

Post a Comment