Tuesday 2 August 2022

Some you win

 So let's recap. A fortnight ago I did the Craft Fair in the school where I teach. It was a disappointing turnout but in the end I covered all my costs and made a small profit. Whilst there one of the other stallholders approached me, and asked if I wanted to participate in a craft fair last Saturday in the neighbouring town of Neath. Yes indeed. I produced half a dozen sketches of Neath's more notable buildings, made the prints, sorted out my Public Liability Insurance, and bought a table. Costs definitely mounted as I prepared, but never mind - I told myself - insurance, the table and unsold stock were all things I would be able to reuse. If I could clear costs then I'd be happy.

Well, as you know if you read my post about the craft fair I didn't sell anything at all, and I wasn't happy. A combination of probably wrong time of year, and definitely horrible weather meant that turnout was terrible. 

So I got on my metaphorical bike. I posted the Neath sketches on the town's Facebook page, and managed to sell some of the stock I'd made for the fair. The same day, a chap who'd bought one of my old Port Talbot pictures at the school Craft Fair had also taken one of my business cards. He rang up and enquired about buying one of my back catalogue, and we sorted this out on Monday. Also on Monday I made my surprisingly quick painting of the Grand Union Canal. Following an enquiry on Facebook I sold a print of it, and then the original. So over the last 7 days I'm in profit again, and I have stock to sell, and I'm in a much better position for next time that I do a Craft Fair. 

Don't get me wrong, if there was no money involved in it at all I would still be sketching and painting. But I really don't want to lose money on it, so it makes me really pleased with myself to recoup all of my losses - and a little bit more - in just a few days. 

No comments:

Post a Comment