Saturday 31 December 2022

Sketchpedition through Time and Relative Dimensions:7) Wembley Empire Stadium


My TARDIS of the imagination really seems to have a mind of its own. Not only does it  steadfastly refuse to leave London, but this time it’s taken me to a building that I did actually see for myself on many occasions, and even attended an FA Cup Final replay in it. This is Wembley Stadium.

Or rather, I should say, Wembley Empire Stadium. It was built in 1923 for the British Empire Exhibition of 1924. Well, if you read yesterday’s post about the Imperial Institute you’ll know my feelings about that. Still, the Stadium hosted its first footballing event before the exhibition, the 1923 FA Cup Final, and it will be remembered as the home of English football. Not least because it was the scene of England’s only World Cup win in 1966. Sadly I was only two years old at the time and have no memory of this.

The Stadium was also the main venue for the 1948 Olympic Games. In its time London has had 3 Olympic Stadia – the 1908 White City Stadium was demolished in the 1980s, the Empire Stadium was demolished in 2002, and only the London Stadium from the 2012 Olympics remains.


No comments:

Post a Comment