Friday 24 February 2023

A pair of Quickies

 It's a big weekend ahead, and today has been the last day with any opportunity at all for sketching. so I made a couple of copies of rather less detailed and complicated illustrations, one from Alice in Wonderland :-

and the other from Looking Glass : -

It's a funny thing, but I have drawn both of these characters before. I drew the Mad Hatter when I copied part of the illustration showing him the March Hare and the Dormouse in the Tea Party, although I didn't actually copy the Alice part of the drawing. I also made a copy of Alice with her back to the viewer looking up at Humpty on the wall as well. 
I wrote earlier in the week about Tenniel possibly drawing on some of his previous cartoons as inspiration for his Alice Illustrations. Well, this one of Humpty Dumpty is thought to draw on Tenniel's 1871 cartoon The Gigantic Gooseberry - and the similarities between the Gooseberry and Humpty in this illustration are marked. Incidentally I've tried to find out exactly what hat cartoon is about, but my efforts have thus far been in vain. 




No comments:

Post a Comment