Sunday 12 November 2023

Being as its Remembrance Sunday

 Yes, being as it's Remembrance Sunday I decided to make a couple of sketches paying tribute to the London Underground's vital role in providing shelter for many thousands of Londoners during the Blitz and after. Both of my parents were born in West London in the first months of the war. I can't be certain that they or my grandparents ever sheltered in the Tube during the war - stupidly I never talked to them about it when they were alive for me to do so. I think it's quite possible that my grandfather Cecil might have done so, He worked as a bank messenger, and was also a firewatcher during the war. Here's the sketches. They are both based on photographs taken in Holborn station, on the Central Line platforms, I think.




No comments:

Post a Comment