Wednesday 30 December 2015

More Vehicles

When I was painting the booths, kiosks and boxes, it occurred to me that an old fashioned American gas station might make a nice subject. I found a photograph I really liked, and this was the reference for this painting: -
Little Red Corvette stopping for gas

I think it's quite a lot more accomplished than my previous road vehicle painting of Zara's camper van. The star of the painting is the car, though, not the kiosk. There's a couple of little touches I really like about it - the headlights, windscreen and hubcaps, as it happens.

This painting is still available for sale - contact me by email at londinius@yahoo.co.uk

I hadn't yet painted anything just for myself, because I really wanted a picture of it. This next one was the first painting which I always intended I was going to keep and have up in my den wall: -

BMW Isetta Bubble Car
I love German bubble cars. There. I've said it, the love that dares speak it's name. While I know with my head that a Chevrolet Corvette, the car in the first picture is in pretty much every way a better and more desirable car than a German Bubble Car, the fact is that given a free choice between a Corvette and an Isetta, like the one in the picture above, I'd take the Isetta. This painting has some lovely bits, and some less lovely bits. The white grills on the front don't work, they look wonky, I'm afraid. Doesn't matter, though, I say it as shouldn't, but this is up in my den, and it makes me smile. So this one is not for sale, I'm afraid.

This next painting is a little bit cynical. I say cynical as I painted it expressly with a view to selling it. This is a Blackpool tram.

Blackpool Tram
I just had a feeling that there would be enough tram lovers out there that one of them might want to buy it. which is not to say that I don't like trams, because I do - I love them. The scan has really accentuated the yellows I used in this painting - they're not as bright or as obvious in the original. It's my first really overcast sky, and I'm very pleased with the effect. Again, it's worth comparing this picture with Zara's camper van since I feel it shows quite an improved level of skill.

This one has been sold, although I would be perfectly happy to paint a similar subject as a commission.

No comments:

Post a Comment