Wednesday 30 December 2015

Project - Large Camper Van

My daughter, Zara, who is my biggest, in fact only, cheerleader asked me for another camper van. This time she asked for a bigger canvas, and so I used one of the bigger boards.

my original thought was to go for a very contemporary feel by painting the camper van large, and having a plain background of one colour, in this case yellow, to contrast with the blue van. After I'd finished the van itself, though, I really felt that the background needed to make more of a statement. So drawing on the experience of painting a nightime Las Vegas sky for one of my commissions, I went for another flaming late sunset sky, and the silhouette of hills in the background.

Camper Van at Sunset


On the negative side, having the background loses the realism of the camper van itself, since the van is too light. On the other hand, though, it does give the van an ethereal quality - I especially like the halo effect you get around the blue light on top of the van. Shame that the front bumper isn't quite right, though.
Personally I think it's quite an improvement on the first campervan I painted for Zara - but you make your own mind up:-

No comments:

Post a Comment