Monday 11 December 2017

Latest Christmas Cards

Here are some of my latest additions to my Christmas cards for this year: -

Copy of a Thomas Nast original
 I eased up a bit with Thomas Nast, partly because I've already copied most of my favourites.
 I'm very interested in the traditional English Father Christmas, who was a figure quite distinct from Santa Claus. This old dipso was pictured in the Illustrated London News in the 1840s, and as you can see, this one is not for the kiddies.

Three more John Tenniels now. The first two are both very similar. In both originals there is a starving and seemingly homeless child, but I left these out from mine, as I had to make some concessions to the fact that these are meant to be Christmas cards. This is Father Christmas, bringing good cheer even to the meanest of dwellings.

 As for this one, well, this is where we see Father Christmas, with his steaming wassail boil, bringing joy to people of all nations, and the crowned heads of Europe.

No comments:

Post a Comment