Thursday 22 February 2018

Another Urban Sketching Expedition


I’ve said a lot about Urban Sketching in my page about my urban sketching journey – it’s in the links opposite. You can always try to improve. I’m pretty happy with what I can do in monochrome with my ink pens, however I know that I’ve got a long way to go when it comes to applying watercolour washes. 

In my last post I wrote about Saturday’s expedition to the Swansea Museum. In several ways t was highly successful. I was very pleased with managing to make 6 separate sketches across the double page in the space of 3 hours. I was also pleased that 3 of them were ink and wash. However, one thing I think that I might have done better was combining the sketches into one overall sketch. So that was in my mind when I set out on another expedition, this time to the nearby Swansea Waterfront Museum yesterday. This is the sketch I made.


This is as close to the idea I had in my head when I started as I’m likely to get. I used colours to combine the 4 different sketches. The Trevithick locomotive replica being so much larger than the other sketches worked well for me, as for me it is very much the star of the show. That background yellow is not actually to be found in the museum, but I just had a flash of insight that the browns and greys of the locomotive would work particularly well against this colour – like monochrome print on old paper – and that I could apply the grey blue of the background on top.

The two sketches made on the bottom page were very quickly done since I spent so much time on the locomotive, and so I’m really pleased how well they both turned out.

No comments:

Post a Comment