Sunday 18 February 2018

Urban Sketching expedition

Yes folks, it isn't just about the horse racing painting, although that's my main project at the moment. Yesterday I took the morning off, and went on a sketching expedition. I was in Swansea Museum just after it opened at 10, and I gave myself until 1 o'clock. I wouldn't say that I had a hard and fast agenda, but I did want to try to do it in the same way that I'd do a sketchcrawl with the South Wales Urban Sketching group. This is the double page of my sketch book that I filled: -
I'm really quite pleased with this. One of the things I noticed in the January sketchcrawl was that I get so hung up on detail, I only produced the two sketches while everyone else produced much more. This time I produced 6, some of which even have watercolour washes. In particular I'm really pleased with the Griffith John bust. I only had a few minutes, and I was standing up the whole time. I've never combined different sketches on the same double page like this before, and so I'm quite pleased with the effect it has. I've seen much better on the net from other artists, but hey, this is a start.

No comments:

Post a Comment