Tuesday 27 November 2018

2018 Christmas Cards


Since finishing the tram painting a couple of weeks or so ago, I’ve devoted all of my spare art time to making this year’s Christmas Cards. Two years ago, in 2016, I hand painted cards for all of the other teachers in my department at work, for other teachers on the same corridor, and for friends from the old school. I thoroughly enjoyed it, and I’d like to think that the recipients at least appreciated the time and effort I put into them, even if they maybe weren’t that impressed with the results.

Last year, in 2017, I didn’t start off with the intention of making a whole stack of cards. However, I did see a sketch of Santa which I was inspired to copy. So I used a well known internet auction site to buy a pack of blank cards and envelopes, and using my trusty sketching pen I went into production. Each card had a different design on it, and the vast majority were ink sketches. In particular I’m a huge fan of the cartoons of Thomas Nast and Sir John Tenniel, and I used many of their designs featuring the American Santa Claus, in Nast’s case, and the very traditional English Father Christmas in Tenniel. I did paint a few cards, but mostly these were reindeer. 

I remembered that last year it was several weeks’ work to produce the 30 or so cards that I made. So this year I bought the cards back towards the end of September. I had 4 cards left over from the ones I made last year. Mind you, looking at them I can understand why I didn’t want to give two of them. They’re not great, and are sat at the bottom of the pile mentally filed as ‘emergency cards’. I began producing cards back at the beginning of November, and gave myself the month to produce the 25 cards I’d need to start with – or 21 cards when the remnants of last year were taken into consideration. I actually made that target last Saturday, so I set a new target of 30. Not quite there yet, but really not so very far away now. I’ve done more painted cards this year, because I really love the work of Norman Rockwell, and some of his Saturday Evening Post covers are perfect Christmas Card ideas.

These are all in the Christmas Card Gallery now, but here’s the ones I’ve produced this year so far:-





















No comments:

Post a Comment