Saturday 3 November 2018

More on tram paintings

I was in Amsterdam last Wednesday so I didn't get to work on the tram painting in Artists' Group. However I did find a couple of hours to work this morning. I didn't spend all of that on the acrylic, mind you, but this is where I am with it now.
The figures on the bottom right foreground aren't finished - obviously - and then there' some finishing touches needed in different areas of the painting. But there's really not that much left to do now.

As I said, I didn't spend the whole time this morning on this painting. I also made a quick watercolour sketch of a double decker London tram in the Kingsway tram tunnel. 
The Kingsway tram tunnel was rather unique for the UK. It's a cut and cover tunnel which was exclusively built for single ecker trams, to link the northern and southern London tram networks. As you can see , they did eventually use double decker trams in the tunnel. Part of the tunnel are still there, which is how I came to read about it in the first place, since it features in several works on disused stations of the London Underground railway - go figure. What remains is now grade 2 listed. The last trams passed through in April 1952. I chose to attempt a monochrome sepia tone because I did something similar based on a photograph of an old Mumbles tram a few weeks ago to christen my new 'studio' and I liked the results, which is why I wanted to go the same way with this one. 


No comments:

Post a Comment