Saturday 17 October 2020

Acrylic Painting Horse Racing Project:3

 So, if you were with me last week, you might remember that I really pushed on with my horsie painting and by the end of Saturday's session this is how far I'd got:-


Looking at the photograph, there's really two obvious areas which were unfinished - the turf and the crowd. I didn't do any work on the painting last Sunday, so it was only today that I took up my brushes again. The plan, which I stuck to, was to work on the turf from left to right, then paint in the shadows beneath the horses. To be honest, this sort of job is a bit of a monotonous task, but it's best to take your time, have patience, and plug away at it until it's done, telling yourself that although this is not the most enjoyable part of painting, it should make your picture look better. 

When I'd painted in the shadows on the grass, there was only really the crowd left to do. Experience from painting my commission of Frankel the wonder horse, and my Racing from Newmarket picture, I knew you can get good results from minimal detail with the crowd, so that's pretty much what I went for. 

All in all it took less than two hours to finish - and that's including the time it took to hang up a load of washing and put another load in the machine. I'm pleased with the finished painting, but then I usually am when I finish a painting, so I'll keep coming back to it to get a more objective appraisal over the next month or two



No comments:

Post a Comment