Saturday 26 December 2020

Beautiful Britain: The Shambles, York

 I likes an old, narrow street, don't you? The Shambles, in York, has some of the best in Britain, and the most famous. I think it was used for some of the exteriors in the Diagon/ Knockturn Alley scenes in the Harry Potter movies. I first visited in 1977. I was mad keen on trains at the time, and so my parents took us on a special excursion train day trip to York to visit the National Railway Museum. Which was absolutely great, but I loved the city of York generally just as much, with the Minster and the Shambles. I remember that it was the day that Red Rum won the Grand National for the third time. We went into a supermarket to buy some refreshments for the journey home, and they had a big sign up saying Red Rum has won, or words to that effect.

I made this after watching a demo video on Youtube made by the master, Ian Fennelly. I just tried to follow some of the method he used. Hence this underwent a number of stages, and has pencil, watercolour, ink and brushpen used in it. One thing to mention - I'm out of watercolour paper, and so I made this on acrylic paper. The problem with this particular Reeves pad is that absorbs the paint incredibly quickly, so you have to move very swiftly to get the colours to flow into each other at all. Live and learn.



No comments:

Post a Comment