Monday 28 December 2020

Beautiful Britain: Piccadilly Circus and the Albert Memorial

 So, in my last post I explained how I found it difficult to make the last painting, of the Shambles in York, partly because I was using acrylic paper. The paint was drying very quickly on the paper, which is great if you don't want the colours running into each other and mixing, but not so good if you do. I ordered a watercolour pad, which arrived today, but not until I'd already started. So these were made on 110 gsm cartridge paper. 

Albert Memorial

This first one is the Albert Memorial in London. The memorial is one of hose buildings that loads of people know, but relatively few take a really close look at, which is a shame since there's a lot to actually look at with it. I laid down the vertical bands of yellow, orange and blue first, and them started applying ink, brush pen and more watercolour. It's okay.

I followed this up with this painting of Piccadilly Circus.


I began by painting the fountain and the statue fist of all as a direct watercolour. This went surprisingly well, and I didn't apply any ink to the fountain itsel until I was well underway with the background buildings on either side. At the moment I really rather like this one - it's closer to what I was trying to achieve. 

No comments:

Post a Comment