Sunday 3 January 2021

Line and Wash Vehicles

 During this last week I've made a few sketches of vehicles. My aim was to work in a much looser style than comes natural to me. In terms of the sketches, this has involved exaggerating the perspective, letting the paint washes mingle with each other, and being prepared to really go to town on splattering. Here's the first:-



The best example of what I was trying to do in this first one is the front tyre in the foreground. Every instinct I possess tells me to keep within the lines, but I'm so glad that I managed to fight against it. In the next sketch, I played around with the shape of the truck far more than I had with the car:-


I have to say that I'm rather pleased with this one. With the jalopy above I'd picked a rather similar type of car to an original by Ian Fennelly, although not the same, and I'd used a similar colour scheme. This van was all mine. I don't necessarily think it's quite as good as the jalopy, but the fact it was even close to what I was trying to do was very encouraging.


I was so happy with this one. Apart from anything else, I feel that I did the splatter pretty effectively for the first time. While individual elements aren't necessarily as good as some of the bits on the previous two pictures, I think that as a whole, this was everything I was trying to achieve. 

The next step was to try to use elements of this style to try to make somethin commercial. In the last week I've sold 2 original tram pictures, so the aim was to make another.


The splatter is there, and I've managed to be looser with the paint. I've also exaggerated the perspective on the tram , and even more with the building in the background. Putting in at least some of the background was a good decision as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment