Sunday 21 February 2021

Busy Week

 Well, it’s been a bit of a busy week. The story so far. I’m a full time English teacher – which I’m not apologising for, it’s not a crime. (yet) Now, we’ve been teaching from home since the middle of December. There are occasions when I’ve taught in school, which is still open for the children of essential workers and particularly vulnerable children, but for the most part I’ve been at home. This does not mean that my time has been my own during school hours, though. Making a meaningful remote learning lesson can involve lots of things – making a ten minute video, and editing it, for instance, can take over an hour. Then there’s sitting at the computer, answering questions, giving advice, marking work during school hours.I’m not asking for sympathy, but I’m using it as an explanation of why I was so eager to paint in this last week. This has been half term week. Normally, during this half term I go sketching aboard somewhere. This time last year was my very last trip, when I went to Reykjavik. A year before that it was Stockholm. Well, there was no trip this year, obviously, so I was glad to use the free time to produce three acrylic canvases – the 3 wild west pictures from my last post.

Prior to that, though, I’d been painting this series of vehicles in ink and watercolour, and more recently making timelapse videos and tutorials of the process for my Youtube Channel. I can easily make one of these in an evening after working hours, you see. But last week, I was spending easily 6 or 7 hours a day on the canvases, so I didn’t make any more.

Yesterday, though, I made another video, or in fact a pair of them – a short timelapse and a tutorial of this VW Karmann Ghia. The painting stage of this one was not without its traumas – if you go to my Youtube Channel you can watch it if you like.


Karmann Ghia Tutorial Youtube

Karmann Ghia Timelapse

Selling my work is not my primary motivation, but I won’t deny that it is nice when it happens. Within about half an hour of posting my first wild west picture I had sold it, and then later in the week I sold two of the earlier vehicle pictures. That means that I’ve sold almost all of those earlier ones.

I’ve also had a commission to paint a horse racing scene in acrylics. This will have to wait until next weekend for me to make a start with it – I have just about all the materials I need except time. I’ve also started my next pair of videos – an E type jaguar – but I haven’t filmed the painting stage yet.



No comments:

Post a Comment