Tuesday 2 March 2021

Ealing Sketchbook

 I think that I mentioned in yesterday's post that I've been making a series of sketches of my old home town, the London Borough of Ealing. When I get up in the morning, one of the first things I do is to fire up the computer and check on the Etsy shop. You can imagine my joy when I fired it up this morning, and found I'd sold my first Ealing print. In honour of that. I thought I'd share the sketches I've already made: -

This is the Odeon CInema in Northfields Avenue. It was built in the 1930s in a style that seems heavily influenced by Spanish Morish style, and I don't think there's another cinema quite like it. Sadly the cinema was closed in the 90s, and now is used by the good people of the Elim Pentecostal Church. I have sketched it before in its modern appearence. It's a real Ealing icon though, and brings back happy memories for several generations of Ealing people. 

This is the Wharncliffe Viaduct in Hanwell and it was built by Isambard Kingdom Brunel. Well, I say buuilt - I doubt he laid all of the bricks himself, but you know what I mean. It carried the first stretch of the Great Western Railway out of London and was built in the 1840s. 
This is St. Mary's Church, the original parish church of Ealing, and although the centre of the area has now moved towards the North in Ealing Broadway, it was the centre from which the settlement originally grew. The byzantine style used by architect S.S.Teulon isn't everybody's cup of tea, but I rather like it. 

A 607 ytolleybus plying the route along the Uxbridge Road, as it approaches Ealing Broadway. 
Ealing Town Hall, a fine example of high Victorian Gothic Revival Civic Architecture. Last I heard at least part of it is going to be made into a hotel. Sheesh!

This is the Hanwell Coronation Clock Tower, built to commemorate the Coronation of King George VI in 1937. It's a nice part of Hanwell, this, and when I was growing up I think that this place was nicknamed Taplin's corner, after an outfitters there. 
When the Ealing Broadway Centre was officially opened by the Queen in the 80s, she unveiled this statue called "Small Work Horse". I've always liked it very much. 
Now, I've no doubt that I don't need to remind the good people of Ealing that I do not give permission for any of these images to be downloaded and printed, but just in case people from other areas were thinking of doing so then please don't. If you'd like prints of any of these pictures they are all available, for ridiculously low prices, from my etsy shop - just click this link - 

No comments:

Post a Comment