Friday 5 March 2021

Horse Drawn Bus Sketch


 I acquired a London Horse drawn bus model for my Matchbox London Bus collection, and so in celebration I made this ink sketch. I know it's vulgar to talk money, but then I'm a vulgar person, so I don't mind saying it's been a really good week for business with my Etsy shop - starting with a bumper order of Port Talbot prints, and then selling the first prints from my new Ealing range , and receiving a sketch commission. 

This bus has the destinations Waterloo and Somerset House on it. Well, surely that can't have been the whole route - after all, you can walk from one to the other in a few minutes. My great great grandfather wasn't a horse drawn bus driver, but he was a horse drawn dustcart driver, and I sometimes think back to what it must have been like, even on the streets of Victorian Hammersmith. Apart from anything else, with everything being horse drawn in those days the amount of manure deposited on the streets every day must have been prodigious. Poor man, I think he died at the age of 29 from penumonia, leaving 4 children behind him. Don't try to tell me about the Good Old Days. 

No comments:

Post a Comment