Friday 28 April 2023

Alice Project Update 2

 In one way I'm feeling quite chipper about completing five more copies of Tenniel's illustrations of Alice in Wonderland. I've tried to work systematically, filling in my gaps from he start of the book. This means that I've been doing some of the illustrations that that I'm less fond of, illustrations largely centered on Alice herself. However his has meant that the quality has been variable. Let me show you.

Oh dear. This really isn't very good. It's Alice's face, yet again, that has eluded me. I also somehow managed to get the proportions and relation between head and body wrong. Well, I tried .


Yes, again it's Alice's face that is the issue. It's a shame considering that this time the proportions of the figure look pretty good. 


Better. Alice's face s not quite perfectly rendered, but this is a pretty decent attempt.


Even better. This is a nice companion piece to the sketch with the dodo I made last year. 


I'm really pleased with this one. I wasn't looking forward to trying it, bearing in mind how much of it i Alice. Yet I made one of my most decent attempts at Alice's face, and all in all it's a pretty decent attempt.

So another five done. This takes the total for Alice in Wonderland to 32 out of 42, and for both Alice books to 47 out of 92. So we're over halfway!

If I continue working systematically, as I plan to do, then the next five illustrations to copy are the first three Father William illustrations, Alice holding the baby pig, and the Cheshire cat vanishing in the tree. 

No comments:

Post a Comment