Sunday 17 September 2023

Chasing the Pounds

It’s been a busy old few weeks, dearly beloved. I last posted towards the end of August. I don’ know if I’ve told you this before but although I’m not a professional artist I’m certainly not against making a bob or two from my work, if the opportunity arises. What I do is that any money I make from selling artwork goes into materials and then any left over from that goes away to pay for my next sketching trip.

Now, the next trip in 6 weeks time is to Lisbon, one of my long-term bucket list destinations. That’s all booked up and paid for, and the spending money is sorted as well. Still, when I returned from Copenhagen in August, while it wasn’t exactly an old mother Hubbard situation, the fact was that the coffers could well do with topping up. I sold three of my London Underground watercolours I made but I took a few attempts. So I did a little research into what was selling. As a stopgap I reduced some of my best selling A4 sized prints to A6 and sold some of those. I also had a look at London Underground paintings on a well known online auction site to see what sort of thing was attracting bids. Hand painted A6 postcard sized paintings seemed to be the thing. As a result I made a few to test with – very simple things that could be dashed off in a few minutes:-


Well, I’ll be honest, even though I got sales for a few minutes work it’s really not my sort of thing. So when I did a couple more, this time I added some famous faces and some humour. I came up with these:-




Well, to cut a long story short they all sold and I enjoyed making them a bit more. So I made these:-








As I write this seven of the eight have been bought and the other was only listed a few days ago and has a couple of days to sell. We’re not talking about life-changing amounts of money, but it’s been quite fun and so I’ve made a second set of 8. We’ll see how they go.

At the same time I’ve been promoting my prints whenever I get the opportunity (sometimes even when I haven’t. For example- Facebook. Facebook can be a good place to promote your stuff, but it’s tricky. Most groups do not want you promoting your stuff. So it’s a matter of finding he right group, joining it and saying – hey, this is my stuff. Do you like it?  And waiting to see if anyone says – I’d love to have a copy of that. Then messaging them privately and taking it on from there. I usually put a message – please do not repost or print without asking me first, and I trust people to be honest enough not to do so, especially when I put
a link to my Etsy shop. Here's a couple of examples:-

To be honest, I’ve had a couple of cheeky messages. I was messaged on Etsy by someone who must have been from the London Underground and Overground Enthusiasts Facebook Group, saying words to the effect of – I’d really like digital copies of all of your Underground sketches. These would only be for my own personal archive – would it be possible to let me have them for a reasonable price? Now, at this time I had not listed them on Etsy.

I thought that he was trying it on, but politeness costs nothing, and s I replied as courteously as I could, that I had not though of listing them on Etsy (but I was thinking of doing so now) and so what would he consider a reasonable price?

No reply.

I did list prints of my station drawings on Etsy, and out of courtesy I messaged him and said that I had received other enquiries about buying prints so had decided to list them. I also said that I usually ask £2 to £3 for a downloadable print, so even if I was to let him have them for the ridiculously reduced price of fifty p each that would still come to well over £100. Sorry I couldn’t help further, please don’t hesitate to contact me again, yutta yuttah.

No reply.

I don’t blame anyone for trying. But I’m not giving it away. The holiday pot is looking a lot more healthy. I reckon that there’s enough in there now to get me to New York (and back. )

-------------------------------

Last Tuesday my middle daughter Zara invited me to a quiz in Aberdare. (Sorry to brag, but in another life I was the last schoolteacher to win a series of Mastermind). While there she told me that she though that the town was very pretty, and would be great for sketching. We agreed that I should make some sketches, and we could try to see if the local Welsh shop would be interested. Well, I’ve made the sketches –




So we’ll see if we can get some kind of deal going. Ooh – it’s exciting!

No comments:

Post a Comment