Thursday 23 February 2017

Horse Painting

Okay - let's recap where we left off on Tuesday. I started from scratch, and this was where I lfet it: -

I decided that the best bet would be to sketch a bit more onto the canvas. In particular I wanted to sketch in the 3rd horse, and also begin to give an impression of the crowds, which I see to be my biggest issue in what remains to paint. Here's the canvas with the sketches added: -
The next stage involved painting in the last horse and doing some work on the grandstand: -
The grandstand and especially the crowd always looked as if they were going to be fiddly and take a long time. There was also the fence to take care of.
At about this stage I needed to have a serious think about how I wanted to leave the canvas when it was finished.
I worked on darkening the grass beneath the main horse, but I wasn't happy with the far left of the grand stand, and decided to paint just a little more of it in
This last photo was taken with flash, and I'm not convinced that it shows off the painting to its best effect. Nonetheless, I'm pretty happy with it now.

No comments:

Post a Comment