Saturday 27 January 2018

Saturday Sketchcrawl: Going Solo

Right, well, after I enjoyed my first group sketchcrawl so much last weekend, I was all raring to go again this morning. The group isn't due to meet up until next month, but what the hell, I picked a good indoor venue in nearby Swansea, and thought I'd go solo.

The Glynn Vivian is a fine Art Gallery in Swansea, and I was there just a minute or two before it opened at 10 today. With the weather being a constant and miserable drizzle, sketching indoors was very much the order of the day. So, working the way we did last week, I gave myself until 1pm to produce sketches of whatever took my fancy, either plain pen and ink, or line and wash.

I was hoping to sketch a couple of figures perusing pictures, but it just didn't happen. There was hardly anyone else in the gallery when I started, and by the time people started arriving I'd already picked my first sketch. This is the upper gallery, which should give you an idea of the rather fancy architecture of the older part of the building.

This one took me quite a bit longer than I planned, but I still had enough time to complete a pen and ink sketch of a statue of a youth sleeping. I walked all around it, but I couldn't find any car giving any details of who made it and when.

Fewer people stopped to have a look at the sketches and have a chat than did last week, but then there were fewer people around than last week, and fewer of them had kids with them, so I suppose that's only to be expected.

Bottom line - I enjoyed the sketching, but missed the post mortem session over coffee which we had last week.

No comments:

Post a Comment