Sunday 21 April 2019

Plough horse painting - day two

Okay - this is where I started today: -
I'll be honest, I was pleased with what I accomplished yesterday. Having taken a good hour and a half to make the sketch onto the canvas I was happy that I managed to paint in so much of the background. I still wanted to do some more work on the background. There's a patch of sparse foliage to the left of the horses where I'd made a start but hadn't finished it yesterday. I also wanted to have a go at toning down the yellow of the earth a bit.
Once I'd done that, though, I wanted to start on the head of the horse on the left. 
I'm really pleased with the work I did here. Yellow ochre and raw umber combined with a little dash of pthalo blue for the darkest shadows have worked wonders on the head. As I painted in the tackle, and the shadows, and the pink muzzle it just came more and more to life. I would have been quite happy to have stopped at this point, but I wanted to just try to paint in the front couple of legs. 
I haven't finished the legs. I like the blue grey shadows on the lower legs, but there's more work to be done in the next session - which I'm planning for tomorrow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment