Sunday 30 August 2020

Beautiful Britain : York Minster

 


Yesterday I used my grey fineliner which I bought on Friday to make a drawing of the Royal Liver Building in Liverpool. If you read yesterday's post, then you'll remember how disappointed I was with the results. Today, I resolved to have another go, but this time to use the grey where I'd normally use hatching or cross hatching to achieve shading and shadow effects. No production photos this time, I'm afraid. 

York is just a beautiful city, and a great place to visit. I first visited to see the National Railway Museum, and I remember distinctly that it was the day that Red Rum won his third Grand National. I enjoyed the museum very much, but I was even more blown over by the Minster, and the Shambles, which was a bit like walking back in time. When I was at uni I visited the Jorvik museum twice as well. 

I haver actually sketched this very scene before. About 18 months ago I made this ink ad wash sketch: -



It's interesting to compare the two, since today's sketch was always meant to be monochrome, and so I think you can clearly see it's a lot more detailed. I like the painted version too, mind you.

------------------------------------------------------------

I had no intention of adding paint to today's sketch since it's one of my Beautiful Britain drawings. We're not doing too badly with this series, either. I've already sold two of them - Chester and Edinburgh, and had interest expressed in a few of the others as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment