Sunday 16 August 2020

Oxfam Project

If you've been reading the blog for over a year, then you'll  possibly remember how I made a series of sketches for Oxfam last year. If not, well, don't worry, I'm quite happy to recap.

My oldest daughter is the manager of the Oxfam shop in Port Talbot. One day in the Autumn, she received a donation of a sketch of the steelworks in Port Talbot, and she was surprised that it sold immediately. What she said to me were words to the effect of - "Your pictures aren't any worse than that!" Thanks a lot for that. 

The upshot was, then, that I made a number of sketches of Port Talbot places, past and present, and using frames from the shop mostly, we framed them up and stuck them in the window. In fact, we sold one even before it got as far as the shop - so I did another version of it fairly sharpish. Here's a selection of the pictures: - 







I'm very proud of the fact that these and a couple of others raised several hundred pounds for the shop. 

Well, only a few weeks ago now the shop opened again after lockdown. "How about some more pictures, Dad?" asked my daughter.  So we put three on sale - with each one, while it's a subject I've already used , it's from a different viewpoint: - 



Each sketch sold within 2 days of being placed within the window. The Plaza Cinema building still stands although it hasn't shown an y films for over 20 years, and is currently being redeveloped behind the original facade. The Ore cranes are iconic features of the Port Talbot landscape, and the steelworks dominates the town. 

No comments:

Post a Comment