Friday 1 July 2022

Thoughts on the 30x30 Direct Watercolour Challenge 2022

I did say a couple of days ago when I completed the 30x30 direct watercolour challenge that I would get my thoughts down about the whole thing.

I think the experience this year has changed my opinion about painting in general and about watercolour in particular. I think I’ve always had a competitive streak. That’s not always a bad thing, but it’s not always a good thing. For example, my competitive streak in quizzing led to me developing myself as a quizzer to the point where I could be runner up in BBC’s Only Connect and Radio 4‘s Brain of Britain, and the winner of BBC’s Mastermind and also the Brain of Mensa. On the other hand it has also made me take my local pub quiz in the rugby club far too seriously, and frankly, act like a prick on occasions.

Now, Ive always said, since taking up Art several years ago, that this is going to be one area of my life where I’m not going to be competitive about it. And to an extent that’s true. Sadly the Afan Nedd Artist’s group has wound up, being essentially another victim of Covid. However when it was happening, I never looked at the other members’ work thinking – mine’s better than yours, mine’s worse than yous, etc. etc. When I look at the work of amazing artists – and yes, we did have a couple in the Afan Nedd group – I’m never jealous, and always feel grateful to know people with such skill and talent.

But I’m kidding myself if I think I’m not at all competitive with Art. Because I’m competitive all right, but competitive with myself. I want to improve. I want to beat the best that I’ve done up to now. When it comes to drawing with ink or pencil. I know I’m competent. I have a certain amount of skill – which is hardly surprising since I’ve been drawing for pretty much as long as I can remember. I know that for the most part, if I set out to draw something then the end result is going to be pretty much what I planned. Yes, sometimes it will be a little better, and sometimes a little worse, but I’ve reached a level that usually makes me happy.

It isn’t like that with painting. I don’t have any great instinctive understanding about colour. I’m not colour-blind in any medical sense, but I’m working in the dark about how to use them effectively. And it’s something I’d really like to get better at. It’s something I feel competitive about. After all, being useless with colour – alright, a bit harsh – struggling with colour is a bit of a drawback for a painter.

So when I do something  like the 30x30 challenge, I’m really looking for evidence to answer the question – am I actually getting any better at this? And with the benefit of a few days away from the paintbox to think about it. I’ve come back to this year’ paintings with a fresh pair of eyes and I think in all honesty I can say that yes, it looks like it.

Trying to understand why, I think it is partly because in most of the pictures I’ve tried to paint a whole page. Compare the horse racing scenes from 2018, and from this year and you’ll see what I mean.

Horse Racing 2018

Horse racing 2022

I also think that I’ve been a lot more confident drawing with a brush. If you compare similar subjects from 2021 and from this year I think it’s noticeable – particularly if you compare this year’s Swansea tram paintings with last year’s.

Mumbles Tram 2021

Mumbles Tram 2022
Ah yes -, I say to myself, - but is there any evidence that I’m getting any better at handling colour? – Well, I actually think there is. Four of my favourites of this year’s paintings – the two Mumbles tram paintings, the racing car at Goodwood, and the old Scottish fisherman, were all based on black and white reference photographs. Yes, I did some research on the original colours for the trams and the car, but even allowing for that I am very happy with the choices of colours and the ways that I’ve used those colours in all  of them. It’s funny considering how much easier I’ve found it to turn colour reference photos into monochrome paintings in previous years.

2022 Old Scottish fisherman - all of the colour choices were mine

I think I ought to keep going with the watercolour. It’s been great fun this year, and I don’t think I should leave it again for another 11 months.

No comments:

Post a Comment