Sunday 25 June 2023

30x30 Direct Watercolour Challenge: Weekly Progress Report

 Well, what a week it’s been for me with the challenge. I’ve made at least one painting every day, and dragged myself back to being on schedule. I’ve produced some of what I think are the best direct watercolours I’ve ever made. Not much competition there, you may well say, which is just a little bit harsh. Still everything was looking good for me completing and having a set of paintings better than any I’ve done before for 30x30, barring unforeseen circumstance.

Cue unforeseen circumstance.

About Wednesday my painting shoulder and wrist really stared hurting. I know what it is – either tendonitis which I’ve had before, or my arthritis. They need rest. The trouble is, I don’t have time for res until I’ve completed the challenge. I’ve been soldiering on, and thankfully the painting has taken my mid off the aching writs and shoulder.

So, what have we painted this week?

19)American Civil War

Ever since I first watched Ken Burns’ magnificent V series on the Civil War I’ve found it a fascinating subject. This is almost there. The background’s great, the confederate is good, but the union soldier isn’t brilliantly modelled.

20)Boy on a Dolphin

I didn’t finish the Civil War painting on Monday, so finished it off on Tuesday. Time was getting on so I needed a relatively quick and simple painting for my second on Tuesday. This is David Wynne’s sculpture called Boy on a Dolphin. I love it. I used to pass it cycling between home ad university. It’s been on the Thames Embankment since the mid 70s.

21) Sir Anthony Hopkins as Odin



I’ve been putting off doing any kind of portrait but by Wednesday evening I had to stop messing around and put my money where my mouth was. Glory be, I produced something recognisable! Really pleased with this one.

22) Greyhound Racing

I’m not a fan of horse racing but I’ve painted horse racing scenes on a number of occasions. I’d even been commissioned to make one. I’d never before painted greyhounds though. Like this a lot. The dirt coming up seems to give it real energy.

23) BSA motorbike

I’m not a motorbike guy. Still, I reckoned that I’d painted enough cars, locomotives and trams in the last few years, so why not have a go. I went for BSA because it’s a classic old British brand and also because my very first push bike was a BSA.

24) Zero Carbon Delivery.

I was actually looking for black and white photographs of Victorian dustmen, since that’s what my great, great grandfather did. Poor soul, he died at 29 of pneumonia, probably through dustmanning in all weathers. Isetad I happened upon a photo showing this deliveryman. I think it’s Paris at the tur of the century.

25) Who You Gonna Call?

I planned this one even before I did the Anthony Hopkins Odin painting. That one was a spur of the moment thing. The first original movie was just great. So, though I say it myself, is this. So pleased with this one I can’t say.

26) Milko

When I was a kid I said to my mother one day, “I would like some more pocket money please.” To which she replied – go and earn it. So I did. I didn’t actually go on a Unigate float though. I helped out on our local dairy deliveries.

No comments:

Post a Comment