Tuesday 27 December 2016

Watercolour- water effects - river reflection

Elvet Bridge - Durham

There are a number of bridges still standing in Britain that have buildings and structures on them, and this one, the Elvet Bridge in Durham is one of them. Obviously I wanted to paint the bridge, which I love, as well as I could, but what I was most interested in was getting the reflections in the water, and on this score at least I'm quite happy with what I achieved. This was a one session painting. I dampened the whole piece of paper, then quickly applied the sky - mostly cerulean blue - then the river - a mixture of cerulean and cobalt, just to make it slightly deeper in colour than the sky. While the river blue was still wet I started applying grey, brown and green reflections, and I'm pleased with the way they diffused into the water, although I did apply some more reflections when it had dried.

No comments:

Post a Comment