Tuesday 31 May 2022

Hmm - not quite what I was aiming for.

 

Yes, this is my second attempt at an Alice in Wonderland illustration. My first was the gryphon, but to be fair, that was a little bit of a soft option. Not because it's easy drawing a griffin, it isn't, but if you see what I mean, it doesn't necessarily have to come from Alice in Wonderland. But a caterpillar smoking a houkah - no, that can only be Wonderland.

Good points - the mushrooms and grass are pretty well realised. I wanted to give the caterpillar the sort of opium - raddled old Victorian colonial face, which is why he is wearing a smoking jacket and a smoking hat. His face is not at all badly realised. But if we're being critical, I wish I'd either gone for massively oversized glasses, or half moon specs. 

Other 'I wish that I'ds' . . . I wish I'd made the houkah bigger and placed it a little further up on the mushroom. I wish I'd either made the head smaller so as to be in proportion with the body, or even bigger to make it obvious that I was trying a Tenniel-esque out of proportion head. 

By way of comparison, here's a copy of another of T.H. Robinson's illustrations, also of the caterpillar.



No comments:

Post a Comment