Saturday 7 May 2022

Back to Tenniel Again

No, sorry, I still haven’ worked Sir John Tenniel or Alice out of my system yet. I was tempted to have a go at another of Mervyn Peake’s illustrations today, but hey, it’s been a hard week, and I deserved a dose of Tenniel. And for once. . . for once I’ve had a decent go at Alice herself here. It’s not perfect, but it’ possibly the best Alice I’ve done. Tweedledee is a wee bit smaller than Tweedledum here, which isn’t perfect, but hey, let’s work with what we have.

The names were not invented by Lewis Carroll, either. John Byron, in a satire of 1725, used the names to refer to composers Handel and Bononcini (Bonon who?). With reference to the nursery rhyme, the two of them never quite have a battle in “Through the Looking Glass” because they’re frightened off by a raven. There you go.

No comments:

Post a Comment