Saturday 14 May 2022

The Cheshire Cat

So, I was thinking when I got up this morning about the important characters from the Alice books that I haven’t yet sketched, and one of the most obvious is the Cheshire Cat. There’s a reason for this- I’m  not that fussed about the way that the Cheshire Cat is depicted. Still, needs must, and so I made this copy of my favourite Cheshire Cat illustration from the book.

I rather like this one because it really conveys the supernatural nature of the cat, but also because it also has the Queen of Hearts. I did sketch her several years ago when I combined details of an illustration of her, together with a different illustration showing one of the cards painting the roses red.

I’ll have a look at some of the other depictions of the Cheshire Cat, and see if I fancy making a copy of any of them for comparison.

No comments:

Post a Comment