Monday 16 May 2022

More Cheshire Cats

 Yes, I decided to take the Cheshire Cat theme and run with it some more. So let's recap. We have my copy of Tenniel's Cheshire Cat: - 

Then I added my copy of Helen Oxenbury's illustration of Alice and the Cheshire Cat :-
- and then my copy Mervyn Peake's 
SO, who have we got to add today? Well, here's my copy of Arthur Rackham's

Rackham's cat itself isn't that striking in comparison with some of the others. He's a little thinner and a little more manic than Tenniel's, but nowhere near as striking or alarming as Peake's. That tree though! Say what you like, Arthur Rackham couldn't half draw interesting trees.
Finally, now for something completely different. This is my copy of Ralph Steadman's illustration of the Cheshire Cat
Copying it helps you realise just how good Ralph Steadman is. His style looks chaotic, anarchic to first sight. It really isn't, though. There's some absolutely beautiful use of quite precise geometric shading here. In terms of my personal preference, this rivals Peake's at the top of my list.


No comments:

Post a Comment