Saturday 6 February 2016

Small painting of a Deltic

Here's the original sketch onto the canvas: -
English Electric Class 55 Diesel Locomotive


I worked on the painting last night, and here's the result: -
Deltic - finished painting
There's always things you can find that you don't like about your paintings, Still, I do think that if you put this one alongside my first ever acrylic painting, of a steam engine, then there's reason for saying that I'm improving. In fact, let's do that: -
Now, the steam train isn't awful. But it is rather naive. I haven't yet learned to work with acrylics, the draughtsmanship, especially on those horrendous driving wheels, is not good. I haven't learned anything about blending colours together. If you look at the deltic painting, the foliage in the background is better than anything I could have done 6 months ago. Look at the steam in both. There's not a lot in the deltic painting, but what there is, arising from the middle of the locomotive, is so much better than anything in the first. There's also the fact that the steam train was painted on a larger canvas than the deltic.

No comments:

Post a Comment