Sunday 31 January 2016

Challenge: Portrait

I'm only the 2nd newest member of the Afan Nedd Artists' group. Lola, the newest member, and I were sitting together when we had the Christmas meal, and while we were chatting we both challenged each other to have a go at something we would not normally have done. In Lola's case I challenged her to have a go at a landscape. In turn, she challenged me to have a go at a portrait.

To be fair, I have sort of just let it go - as you can see with the number of posts in January, it's not as if I've been idle. Since the meal I've made 3 or 4 larger paintings, and 7 or so smaller ones. But every time I see Lola on a Wednesday evening in Art Group she reminds me about it, and rightly so.

The question, then, was that if I'm going to paint a portrait, then who? I specifically didn't want to go with family, so I trawled around Google images for a bit until I found a face the really interested me, and that's what I based this sketch on: -
This is on a medium canvas - size 12x10 in. I don't know that I'll be able to start painting it before Wednesday, but that's fine. It's already posing me some questions about how I'm going to paint it, so a little bit of time to think about the answers won't go amiss.

No comments:

Post a Comment