Sunday 31 January 2016

Small Paintings of Port Talbot

I sketched out another small canvas last night. This is the Customs House - another venerable building which is no longer with us. As the name suggests, this used to be home to the Customs Office for the port. By the time I moved to Port Talbot in the mid 80s it housed offices for Social Services, and indeed I attended meetings there concerning some of my pupils at work. Here's the sketch: -

Port Talbot Customs House
I don't know if you can quite see the curved roof on the far right of the picture, but that's actually the Plaza cinema, which I painted a few weeks ago.

Sadly it seems that the place was either no longer needed by the council, or no longer fit for purpose, and it was sold a few years ago. In the last couple of years a new block has been built - as a gesture the block is called Customs House, and it's perfectly fine - but lacks the impressive qualities of its predecessor.

No comments:

Post a Comment