Friday 22 January 2016

Small Painting: Port Talbot: Vivian Park Hotel

After seeing some wonderful paintings of past and present Port Talbot by a terrific Port Talbot artist, I've been inspired to start painting some myself. I painted the cinema last week, on a small board, and earlier this week I sketched out a couple more. Here's the Vivian Park Hotel sketch: -

Vivian Park Hotel in its last days
I painted it last night, and here's the finished picture: - 
Finished Painting

I'm not going to say that it was a work of outstanding architectural beauty, but it had a certain air of faded grandeur about it, and grandeur, at least on a human scale, is something Port Talbot is conspicuously short of. Here you can see it boarded up and forlorn in its last years, before an arson attack - which allegedly didn't do much damage at all - gave the pretext for demolishing it. It's a great shame. 

If you'd like to check on how my collection of Port Talbot pictures is progressing, click on this link to go to my gallery: -

No comments:

Post a Comment