Friday 8 January 2016

Project update: Old Glasgow Tram

I took my sketch of the Glasgow tram along to Wednesday evening's meeting of the Artists' Group, along with my reference photographs. I decided that as an acrylic painting this might work better with a blue sky, rather than the overcast sky of my reference photograph. I quickly painted in the foliage at the background, the grey of the pathway, and the lighter grey base colour I wanted to use for the cobbled roadway. I worked for a couple of hours, but hadn't managed much of the tram details by the time I left.

This evening I worked for another three hours. I hadn't been happy with the foliage in the background, so I did some more work on that. Then I started laying down some colour on the cobbles in the foreground, and although I'm nowhere near finished with them, I'm quite pleased with how that's all developing. Then after that I started working on the details of the tram. I'm not finished yet, not be some distance, but I'm really pretty pleased with the way that the colours I've chosen to use are combining. Here's the painting when I finished for the evening, and then below there's a comparison with the original sketch on the canvas: -




Now the really sensible thing to do would be to leave it alone for now and take it back to work on on Wednesday. Knowing me though, I'll get up tomorrow morning and won't be able to resist working on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment