Sunday 17 January 2016

Small Painting: Cinema

My third completed small painting of the weekend is one of the cinema about 500 yards down the road from where I live. The Plaza is an old cinema, first built in 1939. I was delighted to discover a good old fashioned one screen cinema when I first moved here in 1986, and sad when it closed in 1999. Neath and Port Talbot Council bought the cinema, and two years ago they announced plans to refurbish it, and reopen it. I have yet to see any signs of work being done on the site - still, we live in hope. Here's the sketch I began with: -
Port Talbot plaza cinema - original sketch onto 5 x 7in canvas
Actually I quite like the sketch as it was, although I say it as shouldn't. Well, that's the sketch - let's say about 15 minutes needed for that. Here, let's say about 2 and a half hours later, is the finished painting: -
Port Talbot Plaza Cinema finished painting
Many of the paintings I've made are paintings of places or things I have only seen in photographs. SO this is why I'm pleased with this one, since I do know the Plaza, and colourwise I think I'm pretty much there.

No comments:

Post a Comment