Sunday 31 January 2016

Project - St. Paul's Port Talbot

I decided that it's time that I did my first larger painting of Port Talbot. It's a lovely building, relatively simple, and built in what I would say is a romanesque style.

The original photo was taken some time ago. Now, I've been listening to and reading advice, and I think that I may well be guilty of skimping on my preparation. As it was, the edge of my canvas is some way away from where the original photograph ended. So I got in the car, and drove down to the chair this morning. Alright, I haven't quite got the confidence to stand there making a lightning sketch yet, but there we go, one step at a time.

Here's one of the photos I took: -
It isn't exactly the same position as the original was taken from, but that's fine. what it did do was to show me the way that the wall continues, and the buildings adjacent to the side of the church. Also, you might just notice on the left that there's a new building been built since the original picture was made. Here's a slightly different view: -
You can see it slightly better on this one. This is a new build, and to my mind it does obscure the view of the church. Here's the sketch onto canvas: -

 As part of the process I took a photo from a completely different angle, the other side of the apse, looking down the road : -

I think that I may well make this the basis for a small painting as well. Today was very grey and overcast, and so the stone looks much darker. I also like the way that the bare branches of the tree overhang in the foreground.

No comments:

Post a Comment