Saturday 25 June 2022

2022 30x30 Watercolour Challenge 25

 Okay, so here's the latest on the challenge. You remember number 17? No? Oh, do pay attention 007. It was the Mumbles tram I posted last weekend. That has become the second of this year's direct watercolour crop to be snapped up, and the first to be sold. Enough of such boasting.

So, I've already done two of my favourite transport subjects, a tram and a train. Yesterday evening I started this racing car that I finished this morning. 

25) Practice at Goodwood

I'm pleased with this one, not least because it's so much better than last year's attempt at a racing car - 


I mean, it's not terrible, but it's sketchy and it is only really half a picture. One of the differences between what I've done in the past, and what I've been doing this year, is that I've been making a conscious attempt to 'fill the paper' or, put it another way, to paint the whole scene rather than just the main subject of it. Of course, it does mean that the paintings take longer. Last year's racing car took less than an hour. Altogether I don't think that this year's took much less than four or five hours.

Shal I let you into a little secret about today's painting? Why not? This is the first that I've made on A3 this year. I just felt that even simplifying the details from my reference as I have, it would still be easier to work more of the details in if I went for a larger piece of paper. I think that this has been a sensible choice. 

No comments:

Post a Comment