Friday 3 June 2022

2022 30x30 Watercolour Challenge

 Okay, so for today's number 3, I took the prompt from Sketching Every Day, which was featured artist Pat Katz. Pat Katz is a Canadian artist whom I wasn't previously familiar with, but I think she's just great. This is my direct watercolour copy of an original Pat Katz. Nowhere near as good as the original of course, which I suggest you search for and see for yourself. 


This I actually made a couple of days ago. Today I made the next two. An upcoming prompt for tomorrow on Sketching Every Day is Toulouse Lautrec. This is what I've made: -

I think that you should always try to be objective when you look at your own work, but I can't help being really pleased with the way this one came out. I decided at first that I wasn't going to copy a painting or poster, and so I found a black and white photograph of the lasd himself. In previous years I've had some success painting from old photos using monochrome blue, and so I gave the whole piece of paper a light blue wash, and then painted the face on the left. It was quick, and I was so pleased with the way it turned out it suddenly occurred to me to copy the poster onto the right, and make it look as if the poster is ripped at the top. I'm really pleased with the result. The scan has made the silhouetted man on he poster grey when it is actually mauve, but still, I'm really happy to have made something I really like so early in the challenge.

Going for a lap of honour, then, I made this painting of Port Talbot's local stately home, Margam Park. I own it actually. Well, sort of. The council actually owns it, but as a ratepayer in Port Talbot, that's pretty much the same thing, isn't it?

Again, I'm really pleased with this. It looks like it's meant to look - and I'm not used to that happening much with my watercolours. After saying this it will probably all be downhill from here, but I've completed one sixth of the challenge, and the Sean Connery is probably the weakest so far, and even that does lok like him (a bit). 


No comments:

Post a Comment